Friday, January 30, 2009

Rainbow Chili

Ingredients:
1 cup vegetable broth
1 can kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can corn of choice
1 can diced tomatoes
1 zucchini, sliced
Dash of garlic powder
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp Lawry's seasoning salt
1/4th tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp cornstarch
Pinch of dried basil
Assembly:
  1. In a large sauce pot over medium heat, combine rinsed, drained beans, drained corn, vegetable broth (reserving a 1/4 cup for later), drained tomatoes, and sliced zucchini.
  2. Add garlic powder, seasoning, chili powder, basil, and cayenne.
  3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
  4. Whisk cornstarch and reserved vegetable broth together and add to pot. Stir until fully incorporated.
Presentation:

I just served it in bowls along with some multi-grain toast.
I briefly considered sour cream for his, but decided against it without being able to test myself. If I had had onions I would have added them, green peppers too. Jalapenos probably could have been substituted for cayenne, but I like the way cayenne tastes in soups. Potatoes would have been horribly good in this.

Verdict:
I liked it but didn't think it was over the moon good. Was very pretty and filling, but needed something in my opinion. Oil? Something to give it that smack smack, num.
On the plus side...

The Man:
Said it was very good. :D Just what I needed after a couple of so so responses.

No comments:

Post a Comment